See Jessie's New Page

Jessie has changed to a new page. To view recent posts please visit www.jessiebull.wordpress.com



Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Philippians 4:13

I grew up athletic in a different way. I began twirling baton when I was 4 years old. It was all I knew, and I was never allowed to try any other sports as twirling took up all my time. I loved it! I was a successful competitor and the Feature Twirler in college at the University of Nebraska.  I have always been an athlete at heart, but never truly stepped outside of my comfort zone or branched out to do different things.
Once I got older and twirling was no longer a part of my life, other than occasional coaching, I fell into a pretty bad slump. I became lazy and full of excuses. I would work out from time to time, it came and went in spurts, mostly just trying to keep myself looking good. I developed a LOT of bad habits. I was unrecognizable even to myself, and not in the way I looked, but in my attitude.  I was so lost and so down.
 Then this past January I fell into my own brokenness through certain life changing situations that left me feeling defeated in life and worthless, unable to amount to anything. I ended up at Christ's Place Church and a life changing moment occurred. I gave my heart to Christ and began following Him. In this change of heart I began to transform. I no longer made excuses for myself. I began to challenge myself, even when I didn’t want to.

After finishing my first 5k race
It all started with a spur of the moment last minute entry to a St. Patrick ’s Day 5k race in March of this year.  My pregnant friend talked me into doing it with her and gosh I couldn’t say no…she was 5 months pregnant and she was doing it! So I did it…with no real training…just a pair of running shoes I bought and barely used in the past and I finished! I didn't even stop to walk! I felt this rush I had never known, my whole body ached but I was determined and began running on a regular basis. Next, I did another 5k race a month later and then a 10k race, and then another 5k, and I finished them all! Now I was feeling motivated! And through it all Christ was with me providing me with the strength to achieve these goals.
Then I got injured. I was crushed. I had an overuse injury in my knee. I'll be honest, I wanted to quit...easy out, I was injured...perfect excuse...but the fire inside me would not be put out so easily.  Instead of sitting down and pouting about it I changed up my work outs. Can't run everyday? fine... I started riding my old school 5 speed mountain bike 10 miles at a time. Then it occurred to me, my Dad used to do Triathlons, so I just decided that I could too!  I literally woke up one morning and said…yup I am doing it! And I signed up for the Omaha Triathlon Sprint Distance! (this was about 6 weeks prior to the event, definitely on a time crunch for training…but I was determined!)  Then I realized I don’t really know how to swim, another opportunity to find an easy out right? WRONG! I went  bought a race suit, goggles and a swim cap and headed to the nearest YMCA and jumped in the pool. Little did I realize…I am terrified of putting my face in the water and swimming was NOT as easy as I thought it would be. That first attempt sent me packing in tears full of frustration.  I REALLY wanted to throw in the towel this time...really really bad! I had to pray and fight my natural tendency to find an excuse BIG TIME. I forced myself to get in that pool EVERY day for that 6 weeks, got some help from friends to coach me on technique, and every day it totally sucked! But I did it anyway keeping my faith in God to help me face my fears.  Once again...Christ was with me providing me with what I needed to get through these pool workouts, EVERY TIME.
Before I knew it, the big day was here! Time for the Omaha Triathlon! I wasn’t very nervous for the bike or the run because I had done that so many times and was comfortable with the distances, but man o man did that swim terrify me! Just the thought of it sent my stomach flip flopping. I wrote one of my favorite Bible verses on my left hand Philippians 4:13 (I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength) I prayed with my best friend right before my wave went and off I went! I was shaking and trembling in fear when I started, this was not easy in my mind or in my body, not one bit. But, in my spirit...I found my strength. My whole entire body wanted to give out, every inch of me tired, exhausted, all my muscles burning, water up my nose, water in my face, oh man water in my face...I HATE water in my face! But i refused to give up, I WOULD NOT QUIT!  That verse on my hand was in my sight line the entire time and I just focused on that, with every breath, with every inch forward that I moved in the water...Christ...it was all about Him, He was with me.  The volunteers in the kayaks stayed close and offered me help numerous times, but i refused and said "nope We got this! I can do all things in Christ who gives me strength!" That half mile seriously felt like TEN miles! And I was pretty much last out of the water, but when I got to shore...oh man when I got to shore... I can't put it into words the feeling of overcoming joy that was inside me! Triumphant! I was triumphant! All I could hear was my best friend yelling "30 minute swim baby!" and I pretty much bawled happy tears all the way to the transition area. 
Then I went off to the bike and it was really hard…that course was incredibly challenging! Might I add that I was not riding the finest of bikes. Just me and my Mt. Fury 5 speed mountain bike! I don't even know how to change the gears, so I just left it on 5 at the hardest resistance and off I went! Next thing I know I am at the turn around point and I couldn’t believe it…I was actually doing it! 6 more miles to go to complete the total of 12 miles on this course and I just kept repeating the lyrics to a song "you make ALL things work together for my good" over and over and over. Then before I knew it I was back in transition off to run. By this point my entire body was in pain. I hurt from head to toe, but I didn't care. I felt like i was flying...no, soaring! People kept shouting "yay! #376 you look strong! Great smile!" I remember thinking to myself...I'm smiling??? I was so overcome with joy I couldn't even tell I was smiling!  Jesus was definitely with me. Once I reached the turnaround point I realized I was really going to do it, and even writing this right now I can't hold back the tears...As I approached the finish line I took a deep breath to stop the outpour of emotion that was about to surface and it occured to me...WOW, again, I don't recognize myself...and I am glad. Who is this woman? Me? Jessie Adcox???I am  about to cross the finish line of a triathlon that I just woke up one day and "decided" to do? DAMN RIGHT I AM! 
When I crossed that finish line…I just paused and went silent, in complete praise to God.  He brought me to this with 100% intent to show me that I indeed am strong and can and WILL do anything with His strength. WOW...resonate in that one for a minute...this wasn't MY idea...I didn't just "decide" to do this...God brought me to it so He could see me through it. AMAZING.  I recall that moment right after I crossed the finish line and the volunteers panicked a little thinking I was in pain and began to motion for me to sit down,  and I just said to them…”no, I am OK, just let me soak this in…I did it…I DID IT! I CAN DO ANYTHING! PRAISE GOD" and one of the females just said, "yes, yes you did...and yes you can. Congratulations!" And then they put the medal around my neck.

My biggest takeaway from the triathlon is that I really can do anything through Christ who gives me strength and I just proved it! No longer am I down on myself or afraid. I am confident and realize that if I am not uncomfortable, then I am not doing enough and I need to stretch myself further.  No longer am I just a twirler who cannot do other sports…I am a triathlete! And this is just the beginning!  I cannot wait to see where God leads me with this! I have said it before and I will say it again...Get uncomfortable and step outside of your box! Challenge yourself physically and thus challenging your spirit and your mind. You will be amazed at the transformation God will create in you, if you only ALLOW Him to.

So let me put this on you, What are you doing today to stretch yourself beyond your limits in order to grow? Are you trusting God to put certain challenges in your life and having that blind faith knowing He will see you through it? Leave a comment or send me an email, would love to hear your stories.
Blessings
XOXO
~Jes

3 comments:

  1. This brought me to tears. I am sitting at my desk at work wiping them away. Thank you JESUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a wonderful person Jessie! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is not a coincidence that I have found this article ata time when my life is in personal crisis, it is not a coincidence that the Spirit spoke the word, 'Omaha' to me yesterday which caught my eye enough to convince me to read deeper into your article. What a great testimony to your faith and walk with Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour. Wherever you are now, may you be blessed in the knowledge that He hears our prayers and has plans for our lives that will amaze us, enough to ensure that we will worship with joy and thanksgiving at His throne of grace forever. Amen!

    ReplyDelete